The habit of drinking a glass of water half an hour before a meal is very healthy. This amount is sufficient, as it is not recommended to drink long before eating. Two or three glasses, for example, would make digestion more difficult.
Therefore, it would be ideal to take a few sips of water to better digest food.
Another question would be whether or not it is good to drink water during the meal. In reality, it is not about what is “good” or “bad,” but about what is “recommended.”
High fluid intake during meals can affect gastric acid. It will be less effective in breaking down food and eliminating possible ingested bacteria.
It’s not a problem if you serve a glass of wine for dinner, for example. But to optimize your digestion and take care of your health every day, it is “recommended” to drink a glass of water 30 minutes before a meal. Below we explain the benefits of this habit.
Why it is recommended to drink a glass of water half an hour before a meal
You can follow this advice or ignore it. Everyone knows what they like about their body and how they feel better.
Therefore, it is important to learn to listen to your body, to observe what changes are beneficial to it and with what habits it does not get along very well.
We suggest you find out for yourself how your body reacts when you follow this simple recommendation, to drink a glass of water or less than half an hour before a meal. You certainly won’t regret it. You have nothing to lose if you adopt this habit for 15 days!
It gives you energy
A glass of water before a meal moisturizes the body.
- This simple habit helps the cells to function properly and gives the body the energy it needs to perform two extremely important tasks: proper digestion and absorption of nutrients.
- In addition, we must not forget that both the brain and the muscles are composed of up to 75% water, while the kidneys and liver contain 70% water.
- You need to maintain this homeostatic balance by replacing lost fluids. But, as I mentioned above, that doesn’t mean you have to drink two glasses in a row.
Ideally, you should drink water in small sips, without waiting for you to be thirsty. Thus, the ideal time for hydration is half an hour before a meal.
Helps to lose weight
We have all heard at one point that a glass of water before a meal helps you lose weight, because your stomach fills with this fluid and your hunger diminishes.
It is good to be a little skeptical about these statements. It can be dangerous to fill your stomach with water before meals to fool your hunger.
We recommend that you drink only a glass or even half a glass of water. This habit stimulates weight loss because:
- Improves digestion.
- Facilitates digestion and elimination of fats.
- Fights constipation.
- It cleanses your body.
Here’s another useful trick: add a little lemon juice to the water. You will feel very good!
Improves the appearance of the skin
Water consumption offers benefits both internally and externally: it improves the appearance and health of the skin.
- If you get in the habit of drinking water with as little lime as possible, you make sure that your body enjoys the benefits offered by the most powerful detoxifying agent: water.
- The oxygen in the water keeps the skin elastic and toned.
Also, if you drink a glass of water before a meal, you will better digest food and absorb more vitamins, minerals and oxygen. All of these nutrients help regenerate skin cells.
Other times of the day when it is recommended to drink water
In addition to that glass of water consumed 30 minutes before a meal, it is advisable to drink this liquid in other parts of the day:
- In the morning, after waking up, drink a glass of lukewarm water.
- Before taking a bath, it is good to drink a little water to lower your blood pressure.
- Before bed, drink water to replace the fluids you lose during the night.
Take care of your body with proper hydration and adopt the habit of drinking water half an hour before a meal.