Rice water has become known lately because it is not only beneficial for hair and skin, but also for the whole body. Rice water is rich in vitamins and minerals and is recommended for people experiencing diarrhea or vomiting, but also for pregnant women to increase milk production.
In Asia, rice water is one of the best kept beauty secrets due to the vitamins and nutrients in its content. Do you need other reasons to keep rice water?
Rice water for health
This water is rich in the complex of B vitamins, folic acid, iron, potassium, magnesium and zinc. White rice is better than brown rice because it boils more nutrients in the water during cooking. Here are some benefits of this liquid:
- Provides natural energy.
- Helps with gastrointestinal problems, such as diarrhea, nausea or vomiting.
- Prevents gastroenteritis.
- Helps maintain body temperature.
- Helps moms secrete more milk.
- Helps relieve skin irritations.
- Heals and prevents constipation.
Rice water contains antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that work wonders for the skin. It can protect the skin from the harmful effects of the sun’s rays, fight inflammation, irritation and prevent premature aging.
One of the most impressive components of this water is inositol, a complex element that contributes to cell development and stimulates blood circulation. This liquid prevents the first signs of premature aging and reduces pore size. Here are the most obvious effects on beauty:
- Fine and even-looking skin
- An excellent natural tonic
- Opens clogged pores
- Add a protective layer to the skin
- For shiny and soft hair, apply water along its entire length and on the scalp
How we prepare rice water
Many people think that rice water is what is left after you have cooked the rice in any way, but it is not so. You can also use that water, but it does not contain the same properties as the water that remains after boiling.
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 4 cups water
- Put the water in a pot and bring it to the boil. Add the rice and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain the rice and put the remaining water in a glass container. If you want to apply it on your face, let it cool, put it in the fridge, then use a cotton pad to apply.
Pregnant women are advised to drink 8 to 10 cups of chilled rice water daily.
In countries like Mexico there is a custom of sweetening this water with sugar. Cinnamon is sprinkled on top. It can be served with dairy or dried fruit. For the treatment of diarrhea, this water should be consumed as such.