Scratches are very unpleasant, especially if you are the kind of person who likes to keep his home immaculate. But don’t worry, there are solutions for removing scratches on the floor that we will share with you. Read more!
Traces on the floor are inevitable and as time goes on, there seem to be more and more. Some are caused by actions such as moving furniture or rearranging the living room, while others appear unexpectedly, without realizing it. When? When you move a chair, when the cat walks on the floor in the living room or when an unbearable pebble gets caught on the sole of the shoe.
When you notice them, you have the impression that the parquet is destroyed and that there is nothing you can do to fix the situation. But don’t worry, we’ll show you some ways to remove scratches on the floor.
5 solutions for removing scratches on the floor
1. Superficial scratches on solid wood flooring
Solid wood flooring is an ideal candidate for scratch accumulation as soon as you install it. If they are superficial, you can remove them quite easily with the help of a special wood marker, in a color similar to parquet. You can find it at most specialty stores. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Remove any dust or dirt from the scratched area with a soft, damp cloth.
- Test the wood marker in a hidden area to make sure the shade is the right one.
- Color the scratched area with the tip of the marker until the color is uniform with the rest of the parquet.
2. Superficial scratches on laminate flooring
Laminate flooring is a cheaper alternative to solid wood. But it can be damaged quite easily. It is essential to have a solution at hand to fix the small defects of the parquet. Consider the following solution:
- After properly cleaning the scratched area, use a floor repair marker, which usually comes bundled with a repair kit.
- Remove excess wax and smooth the parquet with a damp cloth.
- Allow to dry well for 24 hours.
- In the repair set you will find a wood putty, which you will use to cover the defects and level the scratched area.
- Any excess putty can be easily removed with a cloth or cloth.
3. Deep scratches on solid wood flooring
These situations are a bit more complicated, but it is possible to at least partially fix the problem. You will need a filler (or putty) of the same color as the parquet. Follow the steps below:
- Thoroughly clean scratched parquet with a damp cloth. Rinse and repeat if necessary to leave the area perfectly clean.
- If the floor has an extra layer of polyurethane or varnish, you will need a solvent to dissolve and remove it. Wipe again with a damp cloth and leave to dry.
- Apply the filler with your fingertips and distribute evenly on the scratched parquet. It doesn’t matter if you put in too much, the excess will be able to be removed later.
- Allow the material to harden for at least 24 hours.
However, if you are not a fan of this method for removing scratches on the floor or if you are afraid of damaging the floor even worse, you can call a specialist to deal with the problem. But there is no need to worry, the procedure is quite simple.
4. Remove scratches from the granite
If your home is older, you may not have parquet at all, but granite. This material, if properly installed and maintained, adds a unique note of originality to any room.
And yet, the strength and durability of granite do not make it immune to scratches or damage. Its appearance can be degraded by the movement of heavy pieces of furniture or the fall of various objects. Unfortunately, in these cases you will need a professional.
If it’s just superficial scratches or unsightly stains, a common aspect of granite, you can take care of these problems yourself. If you are in this situation, here is what you have to do:
- As usual, you need to clean the area with a damp cloth to remove dirt. Then let the surface dry.
- Apply polishing paste on the scratched areas and follow the instructions on the product packaging.
- Polish with a special sponge made of metal fibers. Start with light movements to avoid damage and continue for a few minutes.
- Test the granite area after polishing. Put a few drops of water on the surface – if they stretch, you need to start the procedure again.
The maintenance of the floors is quite difficult, as they can be easily damaged. However, using the above methods to remove scratches on the floor, you can maintain its appearance for a long time, regardless of the material of manufacture.