Memory loss does not take into account age. Therefore, you need to take early steps to keep your brain healthy. One of the most beneficial habits is the consumption of foods that improve memory and cognitive functions.
Memory loss is caused by a lack of vitamins (especially B complex) and amino acids. Nutrition plays an important role in weakening memory and cognitive functions. It is advisable to eat foods rich in antioxidants, proteins and essential fatty acids.
The effect of diet on brain function
The brain contains about one billion neurons per cubic millimeter. It is constantly changing and creating new connections.
The brain is actually made up of interconnected neurons that act together with certain chemicals. Poor nutrition predisposes you to mental disorders and degenerative diseases of the nervous system.
Foods that improve memory
Glucose in food is like a fuel for the brain, while proteins help in its formation and act as neurotransmitters. At the same time, fatty acids (lipids) contribute to the construction of new membranes that protect neurons.
It is essential to adopt a balanced diet, eat 4-5 times a day, do not skip meals and drink as much fluid as possible.
But, above all, it is advisable to add in the diet foods that improve memory that contain:
1. Omega 3 fatty acids
Omega 3 fatty acids are polyunsaturated fats that the body needs, but cannot produce on its own. Regular consumption of these substances is beneficial for the brain.
In case you didn’t know, omega 3 acids act as a protective layer on brain membranes. They are found in memory-enhancing foods, including:
- Vegetable oils
Antioxidants are found in plant foods. They reduce the damage caused by cell oxidation and improve the power of concentration. Although the body produces antioxidants on its own, it is good to provide support through food.
Some foods that contain antioxidants are:
- Green tea
3. Vitamin E
Vitamin E is part of the group of fat-soluble vitamins, which fights against oxidative stress. Some foods that improve memory due to the content of vitamin E are:
Polyphenols are compounds with antioxidant effect that are found in plants. Foods containing polyphenols include:
- Green tea
5. Vitamin B
Also known as folic acid, vitamin B lowers homocysteine levels, which can cause heart problems. In addition, this vitamin helps the body produce new cells, including neurons.
Some foods that improve memory through vitamin B intake are:
Foods that weaken memory
If you want to protect your memory and prevent various diseases, eliminate the following foods from your diet:
- Sugar, white flour, white rice. They affect the nervous system and cause hyperactivity.
- Saturated fats. In addition to weakening memory, saturated fats make digestion difficult.
- Processed foods. They gradually affect the ability to understand and plan, but also memory.
Tips for stimulating brain activity
- Adopt a balanced and nutritious diet.
- Eat at fixed hours.
- Get in touch with nature.
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes, at least three times a week.
- Monitor your blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Learn to deal with stress.
- Be careful not to gain weight, as this can lead to mental deterioration and dementia.
- Go out on the town, do fun things and be sociable; clear your mind.
- Sleep at least 8 hours a night. Sleep maintains the balance of the nervous system.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
Take care of your brain right now – eat healthy and make some lifestyle changes. Deserve!