Do you eat zucchini regularly? If so, it means that you already know that this vegetable keeps your body healthy, but in addition it is also good for weight loss. Zucchini can be added to many dishes and is absolutely delicious.
1. The health benefits of zucchini
Zucchini has a unique, wonderful taste and should be an indispensable ingredient in your diet for weight loss. If you want to eat zucchini for weight loss, you should know that it also has many health benefits:
- Zucchini is rich in nutrients and does not contain fat. It has very few calories.
- It is a vegetable rich in calcium, very beneficial for your bone system!
- It contains a lot of fiber, thus preventing annoying constipation.
- It contains a high dose of potassium, an element that helps prevent water retention and eliminate toxins from the body.
- It is very beneficial for the health of the brain, due to the phosphorus in its composition.
- It also contains magnesium, a mineral essential for women’s health.
- Zucchini also contains a considerable amount of vitamin B9 (folic acid), very good during pregnancy, for example.
- It contains many vitamins, including vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin E, but also minerals: potassium, zinc, selenium and magnesium.
- Being an excellent diuretic, it also helps prevent kidney disease.
2. Eat zucchini for weight loss
First of all, we need to clarify one thing – it is not recommended to eat only zucchini and nothing else for a whole month. Zucchini should be added to your diet, but a meal should also contain protein and fiber. This vegetable has many benefits, but the most important are the ones we will explain below and which turn the zucchini into the ideal solution for the moments when we want or need to lose a few kilograms.
How does zucchini help me lose weight?
- Zucchini has only 17 calories per 100 grams. Thus, we can eat a lot and feel full with a minimum caloric intake.
- In addition, zucchini speeds up metabolism, helping to burn fat. This is due to the content of vitamin A, which stimulates the oxidation of lipids.
- Zucchini contains soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber detoxifies the body and delays the appearance of glucose in the blood. Insoluble fiber contains healthy bacteria that cleanse the intestines and help eliminate toxins and fats.
- Zucchini also contains iodine, an element that ensures the proper functioning of the metabolism.
3. A simple recipe with zucchini for weight loss: brown rice with zucchini and leeks
If you try this recipe, you will see that it is very easy to prepare and is very delicious. Here are the ingredients:
What do you need?
- 300 grams of brown rice
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 leek
- 1 zucchini
- 1 liter of vegetable soup
- 1/2 cup white wine
- A little pepper
- A few pine seeds
- A few raisins
How do I prepare it?
The first thing you need to do is wash all the vegetables. Cut the leek into small pieces, peel the zucchini and cut it into cubes. Finely chop the onion. Peel and chop the garlic.
Pour some olive oil into a pan. Saute onion and leek over medium heat for a few minutes. Add the zucchini and garlic and mix well. Add a little pepper, a handful of pine nuts and a few raisins.
After you get a thick sauce, wait about 5 minutes and add half a cup of white wine. It will give the food a special flavor. After the alcohol has dropped, add the vegetable soup and mix well. Remember that brown rice requires more cooking time.
Taste to see if you like it and if you need to add more salt or pepper. If not, add the 300 grams of rice. Cover the pan with a lid and let the food simmer. Don’t forget to stir from time to time.
After the rice has absorbed almost all the soup, check if it has the right consistency. When you put a portion on your plate, you can also add a little lime juice and some seeds on top. This way, you will give it a better taste and you will include more vitamins in your food. It is a recipe rich in fiber, very filling and excellent for lunch. If you serve it with a spinach salad with a few pieces of pineapple, you will feel great.